Tuesday, November 11, 2008

School Days..

Carmel Hr Sec School, Nagercoil.. this school is known for its strictness and probably one of the best schools in Nagercoil. And being a Boys School it had its own advantages and drawbacks to me as a student. It gives the greatest freedom for boys when there are no opposite sex near by, you talk what ever your feel to say, you do what ever you feel to do. But more are the negatives than the postives..the class rooms always feel like missing something, no one to care about you in the class (may be there is a chance - had it been a Co-Ed), no one to prove your heroism etc..

And the teachers are almost seen as villains by us, none of the teachers missed to carry a cane, and some teachers would collect money from students to buy a cane, and more it wears and tears, the next round of collection would start to buy a new cane to replace the old one.

Each and every teacher was more individualistic in their own ways. I studied in Carmel from 1990 to 1996, to be specific from 6th to 12th Standard and in a pure Tamil Nadu State Board Syllabus in English Medium (hmm..). I had come across lot of teachers in those six years, but only a few are in my heart..and I know for sure that these teachers will live in the hearts of almost all the students of the school. And interestingly not many teachers would remember me as I am neither an outstanding student in the class, nor a worst student in any form - be it studies or any extra curricular activities. I am pretty much an average student through out my schooling.

First and foremost, I would start with my All Time Favorite Teacher - Shenbagaperumal - A fair bit short man who comes from somewhere near Muttom, though he is a terror among students for this strictness and his punishments, he is so much beyond excellent in teaching SCIENCE. No one can ever explain or make understand things like him. He had some different policies to students, few are below
-No student should play cricket in School and out of school - if he happens to see any one playing cricket on Saturday or Sunday, he would punish them on Monday in school. I still remember Tejy being punished for that matter for playing cricket in the Police Camp Ground.
- No student should eat icecreams , if he happens to see us enjoying icecreams during lunch break, we are gone. We had a tough time dealing with him on these aspects.
- No student should buy anything from the School Canteen, here again the punishments will be severe.
My guess on why he had those polices could be - Cricket is a time killing sport and so he doesn't want us to kill our time on that. And Ice creams obviously are not good to health. And the school canteen will always have a bit higher price than the shops opposite to the school.

I had and always have a great respect for this man for his discipline, punctuality, talent, strictness, cleanliness -here I mean Carmel is a Christian Management School, he never spoke about religion or anything while lots of other teachers used to do.

His way of asking questions to students in the classroom is something that would bring our heartbeats to the maximum speed, we would not know to whom he is going to ask that question. He would face the left side of the class and still say "4th Boy in the 3rd Bench on the right side". And those minutes are some of the toughest minutes of my life to see through.

His punishments would be so severe - you need to show your two hands together and his cane would land on both of our hands for at least 5 times for not answering a question..

And when he teaches you can't get out of the topic for a small nap or a day dream..in the middle of the class, he suddenly would ask somebody "What did I say last?"..and I have not seen much guys answering him, they end up getting punished for this.

Such a wonderful teacher in Science, he of course is my all time favorite teacher. I don't know whether he has retired, how and where he is..but he is one man who could have easily changed the academic life of lot of students. I admire you Sir.

I am feeling sleepy now ..and when I start again I will take you through approaches of various teachers in my School - Carmel.

No comments: